Although these mistakes appear to be very minute, but the negative impact they have on the visitors is huge. These small things could lead to big losses. Don’t let such a thing happen. Perform a quick quality check for your website and you could launch the website without worrying about any such issues.
Each part of the website starting from a launching pages to sitemaps should be given utmost importance. Well, it is good to have this lucky 51 checklist before your website launch. Make a copy of your own and perform these check ups each time a new website is launched.The checklist has been fragmented into several sections. Perform check with each section individually.
Its the Backbone of your website; very important from all aspects, hence it is a must to review the entire content of your website very keenly. No matter it’s the page content or it’s your premium content, keep an eye on both. Now content does not only mean readable contents but it will also include the data-driven content, documents for downloading, rich media content like images and videos. Check whether everything is in proper place and looks attractive. Don’t you dare to miss anything, even a single typing mistake? Once done check all again with the following checklist:
1. Proofread the entire web copywriting; make sure there are no spelling or grammatical errors.
2. Formatting like paragraphs, headers, footers etc. are correct.
3. The copyright date has the current year (present at the footer).
4. Company contact details are intact and updated.
5. Generic content like ipsum, lorem has been detached and replaced properly.
6. Images, audio files and videos are at their correct locations, properly formatted and functional on all devices.
7. All the premium contents, such as e-books, case studies and whitepapers etc. have been proofread with no spelling or grammatical errors.
8. All the premium contents such as e-books, case studies and whitepapers etc. have been placed at their respective libraries, databases etc. and are functional.
9. Rights to contents, images, fonts etc. is properly licensed or cited.
Next, come to the design of your website; make sure it is pixel perfect. You should prefer a responsive design for your website so that you can easily check the design in multiple devices. The design of the website should look perfect not just on a desktop but also on laptop, ipad, tablets, iphone and any other smartphone. Check from the following checklist:
10. All the pages of website are compatible with all the popular browsers i.e. Internet Explorer 7, 8, 9 and 10, Firefox, Safari, Chrome etc.
11. All the pages of website are compatible across all popular devices.
12. HTML/CSS/others are accurately validated.
13. Scripts and images are properly optimized across the web pages.
14. CSS is properly optimized within web pages.
15. Presence and proper functionality of Favicon.
16. Proper functionality of paragraph styles, headers, lists, quotes etc.
Another very important section, which will attract new leads and will keep the customers engaged. Its the third section of the website which should be given importance by checking various functions of it, like the lead generating forms, social media sharing, CRM integration etc. All should work without errors.
17. Data is submitted in the forms properly.
18. A proper message is displayed after the form is submitted.
19. The form submitted automatically is saved in the company’s details or sent to the recipient.
20. If auto responders are present, they work properly.
21. There are no broken internal links; all function properly.
22. There are no broken external links and they open up in a new tab.
23. Social media icons are proper and redirect properly.
24. Feeds are properly functional.
25. The link on the website’s logo is redirecting to the home page.
26. Loading time of each page is properly optimized.
27. Instead of 404-error page, there is a proper landing page.
28. Third party tools integration is running properly.
Search Engine Optimization
Your website is of no use until it reaches out to the prospective clients. To make this happen, your site’s architecture should be in compliance with SEO. Content, images, metadata and XML sitemaps etc., all should form a strong foundation for proper SEO. Check with the following points whether your site is compatible enough or not:
29. Each page has unique Meta title with Keywords in it and is around 60 characters.
30. Each page has proper Meta description that is of less than 160 characters.
31. All pages contain 10 or lesser keywords, which appear in the page copy.
32. Meta data is properly placed for any social media sharing content or for an RSS feed.
33. There are no grammatical mistakes in the metadata.
34. All the images are laced with Alt Tags.
35. Creation of dynamic XML sitemap has been done and it has been submitted to every search engine.
36. Each URL constantly reflects information from the site.
37. 301 redirects are all proper redirecting the old pages to new ones.
38. rel=”nofollow” tags are properly placed in whichever pages and links they are applicable.
A very important aspect for a website! Design your website in such way that it is able to capture web analytics and data. This feature will help your website to consistently improve and be updated all the time. Hence this feature is a must. Further check the website with the following checklist:
39. Check your website contains the analytics code in proper place.
40. Appropriate IP addresses have been omitted from the analytics tracking.
41. Goals and Funnels (if applicable) have been correctly created in the analytics.
42. Google Analytics and Webmaster accounts have been properly synced.
43. Google Analytics and Adwords accounts have been properly synced.
BackUps & security
Next very important step is to prevent the website against loss, damages and malware by setting security and backups.
44. Monitoring scripts are fixed.
45. A proper backup of the entire website have been taken and continuously the backups and copies of the website are taken.
46. Passwords and other important credentials are kept in a safe place.
Because your website has been created for use by public, it is important that it should comply with all the applicable laws and regulations. The laws can be tricky and each industry has it own protocols to be followed. You should consult your legal advisor before a website launch and check that you aren’t missing anything. The checklist below is not any legal advice but the points below are few things, which you should know.
47. Web Pages provide convenience for users with debility. (WAI-ARIA)
48. Announce through webpages if the website is using cookies. This is required in few countries.
49. The website is in compliance with properly purchased rights for codes, fonts and images.
50. If your website is processing credit cards, it should be PCI compliant.
51. Terms & Privacy Policies are easily readable to the visitors.
Launching a website is definitely a tedious job but it can be made easy if successful if proper steps are followed. You can easily reduce a lot of stress with the use of this comprehensive checklist provided above.